Our SRC and Environmental Students’ Team have taken another new initiative to collect plastic bottle caps to help save bottle caps from going into landfill. This will be benifical for the environment and supporting existing plastic recycling organisations to make products to benefit kids. We can’t put bottle lids in our kerbside collection bin as they are small and lightweight and easily fall through the machines at recycling sorting facilities.
We are proud to be a collection point for "Lids 4 Kids", a nationwide volunteer project that redirects the lids to be used by plastic manufacturers to make devices free for the community, such as children’s play equipment, sensory toys, pens, bowls and gardening equipment.
Here’s what we need to do:
- Collect Plastic lids from milk, UHT milk cartons, juice, soft drink and water bottles with the number 2 and 4, written under the bottle cap. There should be no lids over 5 cm.
- Remove any inserts under the lids.
- Rinse the bottle caps or lids to remove any food residue.
- Let them dry.
- Put them in an empty jar. Once the jar is filled ...
- Bring them into school and deposited into our collection buckets located at various locations in Primary and Secondary buildings.
When we have collected enough, students will help to sort them into colours and be taken to Kids 4 Lids drop off location point. The project is open for the remainder of 2021.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact SRC Coordinator Ms Noori, College Captains Humza Ghouse or Laila Rashid, or Environmental Captain Junayd Ayoubi.