Horse riding is offered at Al Siraat College to Hifz and students from Years 5 and up as an after-school program, using College ponies "Hash" (brown) and "Maqsood" (white). Occasionally, Ms Lyndy is bringing in her own pony "Shah" as well.
The course for first and second year riders is:
- 1.1 Tack & Gear: How the pieces of equipment are used and their relevance.
- 1.2 The Upright Seat: How to sit on a horse in a position which gives horse and rider balance.
- 1.3 Principals of Forward Movement & Tracks: Contact aids, rhythm tempo and the footfalls.
- 1.4 Paces & Transitions: Aids required to communicate with the horse.
- 1.5 Ride Movements of the arena: Learn the location of the dressage letters and ride movements
- 1.6 Arena Rules and courtesy to other riders left in the arena (sitting down/not running around)
- 1.7 Warm Up and Cool Down the Horse: Why this is important.
- 1.8 Self Analysis: How are you going and what do you understand so far.
- 2.1 The Forward Seat: Introduction to jumping and trot poles
- 2.2 Riding the horse over trot poles
- 2.3 Riding in open spaces.
Second and third year riders:
(Decided at Lyndy’s discretion of each riders experience and knowledge displayed)
- 2.4 Learn a Dressage Test and ride the test around the arena.
- 2.5 Jump small jumps at trot and canter.
- 2.6 Be able to confidently canter around the arena applying correct aids to stop and go.
- 2.7 Be able to lead the horse at walk and trot.
- 2.8 Be able to saddle and bridle the horse correctly.
- 2.9 Be able to name key points of the horse and gear (saddle, bridle).
- 3.0 Be able to ride with reins in one hand.