Teaching in Years Foundation to Year 6 is based around the Australian Developmental Curriculum, along with using the new Australian Curriculum. The core subjects offered in these levels are:
- Inquiry learning
- Islamic Studies
- LOTE (Arabic)
- Sports and PE
In addition to the above subjects, our students also participate in competitions, attend a number of excursions and incursions, along with enjoying a host of special events held at the College.
In practice, our curriculum uses a mix throughout the day of active hands on play and project based work, alongside group times, personal reflection times, projects, skill instruction and other learning experiences provided by our school.
From Year 5, our boys and girls study in separate classes which we refer to as “parallel” learning. There is no difference in the curriculum content, however, the resources and teaching styles vary in order to cater for the gender differences. The main advantage is from an Islamic viewpoint, so that our students start to understand their unique roles in society.
When planning, our teachers take into account a variety of domains essential for a balanced overall approach. These are:
- Emotional domain – Refers to a range of elements of maturity centred around the individual.
- Social Domain – This refers to a range of elements of maturity centred around the individual in relation to others.
- Cognitive domain – Refers to a range of elements related to thinking and of making sense.
- Language Domain – Refers to elements related within expression and articulation in communication.
- Physical Domain – Refers to elements related within gross motor, fine motor and bilateral coordination including spatial awareness. It also includes body image, health, and nutrition.